of companies that suffer a data center outage lose multiple critical applications.
7 Steps to Avoid a Faulty DR Plan
An effective IT discovery provides an organization insight into their IT landscape and helps ensure their DR program functions correctly, minimizing costly risks and ensuring business continuity.
The white paper, Discovery Methodology for IT Disaster Recovery, outlines the seven key steps required to complete a thorough discovery.
- Seldom-used applications, unknown file-transfer dependencies, and IT services with single points of failure can easily be overlooked, resulting in missed dependencies.
- Auto-discovery tools often overlook key dependencies. While auto discovery tools are recommended during the discovery process, auto discovery alone will not give you a complete view of the IT environment.
- Existing documentation is often incomplete. If applications are not entered into the CMDB, they will go undetected.
- Run auto discovery for an extended period, even on the weekends. The typical data collection process runs 2-3 weeks.
- Distribute questionnaires. Infrastructure owners know their systems inside and out. A questionnaire could reveal unique details about your IT environment that wouldn’t be revealed through auto discovery.
- Consolidating inventory reduces the scope of recovery and uncovers hidden costs. Monthly savings can run between 5%-15%.